The Authenticity Project

Author: Clare Pooley
Acquired in: July 2021

courtesy Amazon.in

Once a famous artist, Julian Jessop feels lonely and forgotten in his old age despite living in a paradoxically bustling London suburb. The drudgery of living in a house with only his memories and art for company compels him to write a brief chronicle of his life in a little green book. Hoping that his story would inspire someone else to live a better life, he leaves the book in a café, unaware of the owner's watchful eye. This story could have ended when the shop owner, Monica, knocks on Julian's door with good intentions, but fate ensures that the book is already affecting many other people. What could happen when these virtual strangers turn up in one place, guided only by the stories they wrote?

Julian, Monica and the others are not purely fictional characters; they represent you and me! How often do you feel disconnected from your friends and loved ones, even in this era of enhanced connectivity? I experienced this last year when I spent my final year of school at home. But then, I suppressed my regrets and went about my business. With an odd sense of déjà vu, I found that everybody in this book hid their insecurities and shortcomings behind a façade of perfection and success. Because of the need to keep up the falsehood, everyone was at heart, lonely. 

The unconventional title, The Authenticity Project, rang true as I read on. Clare's debut novel is all about being true to yourself, and not being ashamed of your dark places. It was heart-warming to see the seemingly perfect characters bare their hearts in that little green book and pass it on to others who were struggling to find meaning in their lives. Though the book focuses mainly on the importance of being authentic, it also calls out the cause of inauthenticity in our lives - the toxic perfectionism that surrounds us in both society and social media.

While the unusual storyline was a breath of fresh air in what felt like an eternity, a few things put people off this book. Although some may find it difficult to keep track of the different characters and sub-plots that feature frequently in the novel, it did not bother me. I've also seen reviews calling the plot too unreal for their liking, but I think a touch of fantasy only helped this book. I enjoyed reading this mostly-slapstick novel subtly dosed with philosophy so much, that I believe you should give it a try, at least for Julian's sake. He's... quite a surprise.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the BookGurus!

Little Women