2020 Book of the Year


And the winner is... When Breath Becomes Air! After careful deliberation, the single-judge panel has unequivocally declared the late Dr Paul Kalanithi's poignant work as the book that created waves this year. The Seaside Librarian hails this decision with pleasure. Hurray! 

Thank you, Paul, for bringing changes in my outlook that I will never regret. I don't know why I didn't pick this book up years ago when it first showed up in the school library, but maybe I was meant to read it when I could truly appreciate its relevance in my life.  Dear readers, I can't emphasise enough the effect this book had on me. Before reading this, I thought I was prepared to handle 'growing up', but the many anecdotes about his medical school experiences, his brief stint as a doctor and his illness made me realise that no amount of preparation can ever fortify you for the future. I'm sad that such a wonderful person had to die to produce this beautiful memoir, but as a quote in the book says, what happened to Paul is tragic, but he was not a tragedy. Read this book, if you can, and you will realise that we have much to learn from the dying, much to learn.

You that seek what life is in death,
Now find it air that once was breath.
New names unknown, old names gone:
Till time end bodies, but souls none.
 Reader! then make time, while you be,
 But steps to your eternity.

-Baron Brooke Fulke Greville, "Caelica 83"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the BookGurus!

A Man Called Ove

A Long Petal of the Sea