St Clare's

Author: Enid Blyton and Pamela Cox
Acquired in: December 2013



A few years back, there wasn't much to do except play fantastic imaginary games or watch TV when I got bored. When toys lost their charm, I depended a lot on books to while away time. Now, looking at my crammed bookshelves, I thank two wonderful people (besides Mother Librarian) for giving me the first books that served as a catalyst for a continuing love for books (these aren’t my first books, mind you). The St Clare’s series by Enid Blyton were among those and these are some of the very few books I've read more than three times. 

The St Clare’s series is a set of nine books about the exploits of two twins, Patricia and Isabel O’Sullivan and their friends over six years. Like many stories set in schools, these books too, have a bildungsroman feel as we see how fussy, stubborn children turn into mature young adults. Think of it as an early version of Harry Potter. You’ll realise that it’s not exactly magic, but close enough. Even the teachers are pretty similar; there seems to be a bit of McGonagall in most of them. Oh, and there are Lockharts, Snapes and Malfoys too. Forgive the extensive Potterworld references, but I can’t help it.

St Clare’s is perfect for young readers looking to begin a lifelong friendship with books. Branching out from Enid Blyton, I read other standalone books and short stories by Roald Dahl, Ruskin Bond and Louisa May Alcott. After finishing St Clare’s in what seemed like a blink of an eye, I eagerly tried out Malory Towers but somehow it didn’t thrill me as much as St Clare’s did.

I found this more interesting than Dork Diaries and The Wimpy Kid books which were all the rage when I began reading St Clare's. Think that over, because all the hype around these overrated books is what makes us curious to read it at that age. I'm not dead against those books, but there are better books out there.

Even now I wouldn’t mind leafing through the pages to relive once again the midnight feasts, the royal telling-offs, the ingenious pranks and the fun that this motley crew of girls conjure when cooped up together. It’s magic, I say. And that speaks for most of Enid Blyton's books. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the BookGurus!

Little Women

The Authenticity Project